7/7/07

I'm Humbled By Your Mercy

I don't want to keep studying, but it's not that I don't want to learn this material. I am about to study the last week of Jesus' life. I am up to Wednesday and Wednesday is the day of rest so I took a break. Just like Jesus, I know what is about to happen. There is the betrayal, the mockery of a trial, and then His death. I would like to skip all that and go straight to the resurrection, but then, the whole point of the resurrection was that He had died to pay my sin debt, wasn't it.

Last summer, when we studied this section, I embarrassed myself. I was sitting in my office crying like a big baby. My office manager came back to find out what was wrong. All I could get out was the overwhelming realization of what Christ had endured for mankind. She just looked at me like I was crazy. Had I not told her the gospel story a dozen times? Yes, I had told that story, but at that moment, I was at the foot of the cross. I could feel His pain and see the blood run down His face and arms. I could feel Him in that room with me. It was as real as if I had been there 2000 years ago. And it made me cry.

How real is Jesus to you? Is the Bible a series of stories or is it an expression of Christ's love for you. Do you understand the price paid for your sin? Do you think about the fact that He died for all sin, for all time? That means tomorrow when you act on inappropriate physical desires or cheat someone out of money, or take advantage of someone just because you can ... you nail Him to that cross one more time. How many times can you hurt the One you profess to love? Is it not amazing that He continues to love you? I am astounded by the depths of forgiveness found through Christ.

When is the last time you cried for Christ?

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
Matthew 22:37

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."
Mark 12:30

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself."
Luke 10:27



No comments: