8/11/07

Listen

He does not believe, that does not live according to his belief. -- Thomas Fuller

I've told you before that I don't believe in "signs" from God. I mean, if I'm driving down the road and my car dies on Florida Ave. I don't take that to mean I should move to Florida. For the most part, I believe God speaks to me through His word. The Holy Spirit may prompt me to read special passages that draw me to conclusions, but I don't typically hear voices or see visions.

However, today I was walking through Target hunting for a bookcase, to put all my Christian Education material into, when I see this framed quote. It says:

"Take time for the quiet moments for God whispers and the world is loud."

I look all around and it is the only one I see. I pick it up and put it in my basket. It hit a place in my core and I knew I wanted to read that phrase every day. Then I tootle around the store to find my bookcase and I see more pictures like the quote I found. I go over to the display and there are several of each saying. I notice two things. First, none of the other sayings mention God or reflect on His word. Second, there aren't any like the one I had previously found. Hummm...it was like it had been put there just for me to find.

I get home and wrestle my new bookcase into the house. I crash on the couch for a moment and turn on XM radio and what did I hear, but Amy Grant telling me to "Take a little time" ... because it takes time to "turn the titanic around". WHAT? OK, what you don't know is that someone else had once compared my church to the titanic when talking about some of the issues there.

Listen, be still, and wait upon the Lord. Could it be a sign?

"I wait for you, O LORD; you will answer, O Lord my God. " Psalm 38:15

No comments: