9/29/07

Temptation

Have you ever wanted something and then when you got it you discovered it wasn't what you thought it would be? I can think of several examples, but one that happened to me recently involves food, more specifically chocolate. Now, I love chocolate. What girl doesn't? But I'm supposed to be on a diet so chocolate is one of the many things I try to avoid. However, the other day my desire for that smooth, creamy, rich flavor got the better of me and I bought some chocolate candy.

As I ate the chocolate I thought, "This is good, but it's not good enough to merit the extra calories it's costing me." At that point I did the obvious, I ate another piece of chocolate! I again thought, "This is not as good as I thought it would be." I finally made the decision to walk away.

You may be thinking "I would never do that!" but how often do we make that same decision about sin in our life? How many times do we persist in a behavior that we know is bad for us? The desire to do things that bring us pleasure is a part of the very fabric of man. To choose to change that behavior requires something greater than our will alone.

I am reminded of Matthew 4 which describes when Jesus was tempted in the desert. The desire for food was great, but He said, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." The desire for personal importance was strong, but He said 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.' Finally, power was offered for the price of praise, but Jesus said 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'

So the next time you are facing a desire, whether it be pride, gossip, or your favorite food, remember how Jesus faced His own temptation. He turned to the Word of God for wisdom and strength. Take time to study the Word so that you too will have it in your heart at the moment of temptation. I think you will find that whatever your "chocolate" is, that it isn't as good as what you receive when you are obedient to the things of our Lord.

No comments: