2/20/13

Mentoring

One of my favorite aspects of serving with women is mentoring. I enjoy watching women discover new things about themselves and helping them work through the trials of life. When I first began working with women however, mentoring was the last thing I wanted to do!  Nobody told me what mentoring was all about.  I didn't know what I was supposed to do.   I found the process frustrating and I am sure the women I wanted to help would agree.  It is only by God’s grace that I remain in ministry after such a negative experience.  Here are some things I have learned along the way.  I hope they help you as you begin to reach out to others.

Someone to learn from. Find someone with experience to help guide you.  I asked an older woman to teach me how to minister to women.  We continue to meet regularly, and as she builds into my life, I can better build into others.   Learn by watching others with experience.

Going slowly. You can’t help the whole world.  Mentoring can take a lot of time and it is better to serve two or three faithfully instead of nine or ten poorly.  Jesus had an inner circle He worked closely with even as He discipled the twelve.

Regular debriefing. Ask for input from those you trust.  Find someone you can talk with on a weekly or monthly basis to evaluate progress in those you are helping.  Do people see spiritual growth in them?  Can others suggest new materials you might use or ways to help connect them to the church?  There is wisdom in asking for help.

A supervisor to help. Sometimes you run into problems.  Ask your women’s minister or pastor to be available for consultation. I frequently spend evenings on the telephone helping others plan a new approach to situations.

These are just a few ideas.  I would love to hear what you would add to this list!

 "Likewise, tell the older women to be reverent in behavior, not to be slanderers or slaves to drink; they are to teach what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be self-controlled, chaste, good managers of the household, kind, being submissive to their husbands, so that the word of God may not be discredited."  Titus 2:3-5

No comments: