2/21/13

Encouragement

"One word of encouragement when someone is first starting to pursue their dream is worth more than a million words of appreciation when they have acheived it and already become sucessful." Doe Zantamata

I serve as the Director of Women's Ministry at my church. I remember during the first few weeks I would hear criticism about ministries I was developing. People were telling me I wasn't doing things the way they thought it should be done. Some of the men said they would be talking with staff about my leadership.

Then my Pastor sent me an email. "Uh-oh," I thought, "Here it comes."  The email said, "I want you to know that I think you are doing a great job. You're doing exactly what we asked you to do. Just keep at it." My attitude was changed and my confidence came back. I began to work with renewed joy and now, six years later, the Women's Ministry is growing numerically and more important spiritually.

Paul told the Roman believers that he wanted to see them so they could encourage each other. You and I know how helpful that can be. We all appreciate an arm around the shoulder or a kind word.

If you've received some unexpected encouragement, thank God for it. And when the Holy Spirit leads you to encourage someone, go ahead and do it. Be an encourager. Both of you will be glad you did. 

 
"I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith." Romans 1:11-12

No comments: