4/22/13

Solid Rock

"You have got to be kidding" I yelled when I discovered a hairline crack running across my ceiling.  I just stared at it for a while thinking it might magically repair itself, but nothing happened.  I'm disappointed, but it's not like there weren't warning signs. 

My driveway has dropped about two inches where two sheets of concrete meet or should I say met.  My mailbox leans like the Tower of Pisa, and the vent cover of the AC intake won't stay shut.  None of these things bothered me much so I have simply ignored them. Until now that is.  The crack in the ceiling is a significant problem that has caused me to face reality. The foundation under my house has shifted.

We often live our lives in the same fashion.  As Christians, we ignore obvious signs that the foundation of our life is shifting. What we don't consider is the collective damage the underlying cause of the shift is creating and how much harder it is going to be to correct the problem by waiting.  Here are some examples of how your spiritual foundation may be shifting:

1. You don't have any type of small group connection through your church.

2. You sleep through your morning devotional time on a semi-regular basis.

3. You go days without praying never noticing you have stopped.

4. You skip gathering with other believers for Sunday morning worship.

5. You start to hang out in places you don't want your Christian friends to know about.

Jesus said, “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” Matthew 7:24-27.
 

I have seen the result of a shifting foundation in my house and I know I need to make things right again.  If you have need to make things right in your spiritual foundation don't delay.  Talk with a Christian friend or your pastor and stand firm on solid ground!  Build your house on rock instead of shifting sands!




No comments: